SKILLS TRAINING COURSE FOR SECURITY GUARDS
I. POWER TO ARREST COURSE OUTLINE
A. Powers to Arrest 4 hours
Objective: To familiarize and instruct the individual on the training topics delineated at Business and Professions Code section 7583.7, including, without limitation, legal aspects, techniques, liability, and company requirements relating to the arrest of an individual. The training will utilize the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Power to Arrest Training Manual and may include lecture, discussion, exercises and role-playing.
- Overview of Power to Arrest Manual and subject matter.
- Definition of arrest and discussion on the implications to the subject, the guard and the company.
- Lecture/discussion on escalation and de-escalation techniques in the use of force.
- Lecture/discussion in the use of restraint techniques and their implications.
- Discussion of trespass laws and implications of enforcement.
- Completion of the Power to Arrest Training Manual Test with 100% score in accordance with the Manual’s Administering Instructions.
B. Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) & Terrorism Awareness 4 hours
Objective: To familiarize and instruct the individual on the subject matter and observation skills required to identify and report precursor activities to a terrorist event, react appropriately, report the occurrence of a terrorist event, and remain safe while helping control the scene after a terrorist event. The training will utilize the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Weapons of Mass Destruction & Terrorism Awareness for Security Professionals course consisting of a Digital Video Disk (DVD), Student Workbook and Facilitator Manual.
- Introduction and overview of the training.
- The Role of a Security Officer.
- The Nature of Terrorism.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- Coordinating and Sharing of Critical Information.